Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Change

Wow, its been a really long time since my last post.  Heck the whole blogspot layout has changed!  Not that thats a bad thing.  Its merely life.  So a lot has changed since my last post.  I changed jobs and I absolutely love my new job.  Its a bit bizarre.  No one at work quite understands what it is that I do and to be quite honest, neither does the majority of my company, but whats most interesting is the fact that I get to part of an amazing team that gets to define what our speciality is exactly.  So basically, I'm making it all up as I go.  Just another day in the life of me.  Some days are better than others, but what I can honestly say is that I'm having a blast.  I think whats most interesting is the different ways in which people who are supposedly doing the same thing, view a problem and therefore go about tackling that problem in different ways.  At first, it kind of annoyed me because I couldn't understand why no one could see what was plainly in front of them, but then I began to realize that my background really did provide me with a completely different view on the problem from the rest of my group.  At school, it always seemed like I had to try hard to come up with a different perspective.  What I'm realizing now is that, I wasn't really trying that hard.  It's just the way I view things.  Interesting, no?

So I've been exploring DC a bit more and last weekend I went to the Maine Avenue Fish Market aka the Wharf.  It was interesting watching all the different types of people that went to the market.  There were people who were obviously tourists...you know, like they had their cameras out and wanted to take photos with the live crabs and stuff.  Ok, hey now, I did not want my photo with a live crab.  But I may have viewed the fish market initially through the lens of my camera. :) Then it was interesting watching the 20 and 30 somethings ride their bikes down to buy fresh fish for a meal.  Then you could see the people that were obviously locals, but there seemed to be less of those than I had expected.  Does that mean that the market is more of a gimmick rather than a place that has a sense of authenticity.  Or did I just go on an off day.  My parents were telling me that when they first moved to DC over 30 years ago, the market was larger and busier.  The wharf and the area surrounding it was considered to be a nice area.  Now, theres a tennis court and a parking lot as well as a storage area and lets just say that I wouldn't want to get caught there late at night.  Again, this is not a criticism, but rather a reflection of how fast-paced our world is.  This phrase seems to constantly be thrown at us.  We've almost become immune to it, but we shouldn't.  I'm not saying to stop change.  Heck, I love change.  I'd be out of a job if things didn't change on the regular.  Or rather, my job would be wicked easy and boring...totally lame.  Rather, I'm saying to be mindful of the things that came before.  Don't dwell or live in your memories, but rather be mindful that you are the carrier of these memories and that they survive only through you.

So here are some of my photos from The Wharf:






These photos were taken from my iPhone.

Shoutout to Ms CHRISTINE NGUYEN!




No comments:

Post a Comment