Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Book Review: Wolf Hall

I just finished reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel and I've gotta say that Im giving it 4 1/2 to 5 stars. Here's my review:

I've gotta say that I absolutely loved this book.  For the first 80 pages or so, I truly wasn't impressed and I almost stopped reading.  I had a really hard time understanding the voice that Hlary Mantel was using.  Even though I become engrossed with the book and I loved the plot and the characterization, I can't truly say that I ever became wholly comfortable with the voice that she was using.  I had to keep reminding myself that "he" at all time means Cromwell, a nice usage considering one of the major historical points in this novel is the "Reformation" of England under Henry VIII. I liked that touch.  I'm not entirely sure if that's why she did it, but I'm going to pretend that's why.  I almost gave it 4 stars just because the beginning was so difficult to read and there was a nonexistent flow of the plot, but I ended up giving it 5 stars because once I had figured out the voice and I accepted how unusual and at times confusing it was, I was obsessed with the characterization of Thomas Cromwell.  I enjoyed how she broke up the chapters of the books into smaller sections that made you want to keep going.  Just one more little section...just one more little section....just one more little section....and then all of the sudden you check the clock and you've been reading for three hours.  In other words, get through the first 80 pages and I doubt that youll be disappointed.  Happy reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment