Saturday, January 11, 2014

Book Review: Beautiful Ruins

Alright I haven't written on this in forever but I figured that I'd start up again.  We'll see how long this lasts but I'm hoping my new laptop will give me some sort of incentive to do this.  And hopefully I'll actually have something interesting to write about.  Either way, I'm going to write this very basic book review.  Cheers if you care to read.



I started reading Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter about a week ago.  I had read some great reviews about the book in the Washington Post and in the New York Times so I guess I had some pretty high expectations going into it which probably isn't helping.  I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book and its a smooth, easy read so props Mr Walter for that, but overall I would only give it 2 1/2 stars out of 5 so far.  Like I said, the writing is good, easy to follow, and the plot is fine but I can't help but feel like I'mr easing the start of a movie script.  *SPOILER* Also, I really don't enjoy the addition of Pat Bender and his storyline.  I feel like it takes away from the two story lines that Mr Walter was already developing, so instead of really thoroughly and deeply developing the original two story lines, now there are three story lines that are all coexisting and none of them is really that compelling.  I plan on finishing because it is a well-written book and I am enjoying it, but I honestly believe that the praise for the book might have been a little over exaggerated.  I definitely enjoyed Dan Brown's Inferno far more than I enjoyed this book and Inferno did not receive the same kind of praise.  Granted, they are of two different genres, but Inferno was far more gripping and compelling than this book.  I was really hoping to get lost in this story but I feel like I'm merely watching as a slightly interested observer.  I would definitely recommend this book as a summer read on the beach but definitely not for something more than that.

Thanks world for reading.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment