Friday, February 25, 2011

The Anti-Climatic Update

Yooo whats up internet world.  Alright so this blog post is not the epic awesome blog post that I had previously promised.  Eventually that blog post will go up, but for right now I will just have to disappoint you and update you on my life which has taken a pretty crazy turn.  Ok, so a lot of you knew that I was intending on continuing my education immediately after college.  Well, I have officially changed my mind and decided to take a stab at the real world and get a real job.  God help America.  Anyways, it seriously feels like a giant weight has just been lifted off of my shoulders so I know that I've made the right decision. Awesomeness.

Ok here's a little taste of what my epic, semi-serious blog post will be about.  For the past few years I've been reading online newspapers like nytimes.com, cnn.com, washingtonpost.com, huffington post...you get the picture and I realized that no matter what else was going on in the world, I always made it a point to read about anything that had to do with the American education system.  When I realized this, I justified my constantly going immediately to these articles because I am currently in the American education system and therefore seem much more immediate and real to me than articles complaining about Obama or the economy or basically anything that had to do with real life (note that my most frequented website after my e-mail and facebook is Perez.com so you can just see how I view my reality).  I also realized that I was getting furious with a lot of the articles concerning education in American colleges and universities, but mostly because they're making this assumption that because we don't seem to be testing well, we are therefore idiots.  I keep on reading articles talking about how our generation knows less than previous generations, that we have no sense of community, that we've lost touch with the real world, that we have all of these anxiety and psychological issues which is caused by our bullying nature and high competition.  Everything I keep on reading in these articles makes us seem like we're a self-destructive generation that has no hope of turning America around.  Yet, I can't help but be infuriated by what is being written because we're being judged by people outside of our generation who are basing their analysis on specific and fantastic events.  We're being judged by people who have not gone through what we have.  I've read a few articles claiming that we don't have the same "American" spirit as before.  Well let me tell you something.  No shit we're different than previous generations. We didn't grow up in the same world as our parents or grandparents.  We have a war that the majority of us don't understand nor support but this isn't our Vietnam.  We have a recession but this isn't our Great Depression.  Basically, what I'm gonna do in the blog post that I keep on promising is attempt to understand what it means to be in our generation and I guess my whole point is that we, as a generation, need to stop being ok with the fact that these "outsiders" are attempting to define us.  They're attempting to give us an identity which does not in fact depict us at all.  Maybe its time that we start depicting what it really means to be a part of our generation so we can stop having people define it for us.  If you do not want to read anything that has to do with that, then I recommend that you be cautious about reading my next few blog posts.  Thanks for being patient with me as I try to grasp who we are.

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkein

No comments:

Post a Comment